Thursday, December 29, 2016

MY OPINION ON THE US POSITION ON UN SECURITY COUNCIL RESOLUTION 2334, ISRAEL AND PALESTINE

Quite simply, I support the decision by the Obama administration to abstain from voting on the UNSC Resolution 2334.

I have written many times about the situation in Israel on this blog. I support Israel; I do not support the actions of the Israeli government under Netanyahu.

I have repeatedly said that because I am not a citizen of Israel, I cannot tell that government what I want them to do. On the other hand, as a citizen of the United States, I can tell my government what I want them to do, and to offer my support for specific policy directions and legislation.

I have, therefore, sent messages to President Obama and Secretary Kerry thanking therm for this decision, and supporting their policy.

I read the resolution; I find it balanced and important.

I read the official statement by U.S. Ambassador Samantha Power; it is balanced and an important policy statement.

I watched the entire speech by Secretary Kerry on the subject of Israel and Palestine; it is a powerful and important policy speech and, in my opinion, says things that absolutely needed to be said.

Political analysts, U.S. Presidents-to-be, pundits, officials on all sides and a plethora of political hacks have engaged in the on-going media fire fight over this Obama administration policy choice. Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu has had public temper tantrums over this development. And yes, there is Twitter. Everyone has an opinion, and that is as it should be.

Only time will tell what the outcome will be in the 50-year and counting conflict in Israel/Palestine (since the 1967 war when the occupation began). I, and many in the world, have grown beyond weary of this conflict. Both sides need to find a resolution, and yet both sides seem incapable or not interested in ending the conflict.

The Obama position is moot in the face of the Trump ascendency. All signs indicate that the Trump administration will support the continuation of settlement building in the West Bank and East Jerusalem, and that Trump and Netanyahu will be perfect partners in continuing the conflict. I hope I'm wrong, but it's a tiny glimmer of hope.

----

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter